I was contemplating the new year and came across the following on a blog entitled, Jesus Follower. http://www.jesusfollower.typepad.com/
Resolution. A high resolution is high in definition and focus. Seems that most of us fail at new years resolutions because we suck at defining and focusing.
I read through 1 Samuel this morning. It's so refreshing to sit down with a coffee and get caffeinated with Scripture. As the brew of the Old Testament fired my synapses, I was struck by something Samuel said in chapter 12. Perhaps this could be the theme for the whole book: "As for me, I will certainly not sin against the Lord by ending my prayers for you. And I will continue to teach you what is good and right. Be sure to fear the Lord and sincerely worship him. Think of all the wonderful things he has done for you." (1 Sam 12:23-24, NLT)
In this new year, there are some highly defined, finely focused resolutions to drink in here:
- Pray for others. To stop is a sin. If you haven't even started, fix that problem now. Right now. There is no time to pray for people like right now.
- Teach what is good and right. Don't teach what's bad and wrong. Think about it. You teach by what you say and do. You have influence on others. Pray for people. And help people live well. For their sake and yours.
- Fear God. To take God for granted or to mock God will make your 2009 suck.
- Sincerely worship God. Watch your heart. Watch what you worship. Let your life breathe everyday for God. This is so much more than songs on Sunday. This is the HOW of your life. All the time. Every. Single. Breath.
- Remember God. Too many of us suffer from spiritual amnesia. Tie a string around your soul and don't forget what God has done.